Vice gov denies link to ‘scam’

Vice-Governor Atty. Dionisio D. Balite categorically disowned the reported racket in soliciting names of nominees of barangay officials to be “appointed” in exchange for money by unscrupulous perpetrators, according to the vice-governor’s press statement.

The office of the vice-govenor was dragged into the scam by perpetrators, who are roaming around particularly in the barangays, allegedly dropping Balite’s name in an attempt to hoodwink the barangay officials in giving in – in the hope they’re to be appointed.

This is aside from revelation of provincial Board Member Ricky Masamayor’s privilege speech informing the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of the vice-governor’s alleged link to the racket during the special session on Monday last week.

 ADVERTISEMENT 

Masamayor said that several barangay captains in Loon told him that the perpetrators have claimed to be working under the orders of Balite.

Balite has said that “he has not instructed any political animal, individuals or groups to conduct the said activity in different parts of Bohol.”

Balite, who heads the Bohol United Opposition along with Congressman Aris Aumentado, is the chairman of Partido Demokratiko Pilipino-Lakas ng Bayan (PDP-Laban) Bohol chapter. The party catapulted then Davao City Mayor Rodrigo Roa Duterte to the highest post of the country.

In his radio program, Atty. Salvador Diputado, editor/columnist of Bohol Times, insinuated that Masamayor appeared to be just grandstanding when the latter bared the alleged racket during the said SP session presided over by the vice-governor.

Diputado said it could have been that Masamayor just brought  the matter in a huddle with the vice-governor and his colleagues during the pre-session. But he did not, Diputado said.

The alleged racket came as the term of the incumbent barangay officials in the country will end this month as a result of the postponement of the barangay and Sangguniang Kabataan (SK) elections supposedly slated on October 25, 2016 but moved to October 23, 2017 instead.

Interior Secretary Ismael Sueno issued an Advisory dated October 7, 2016 addressed to all local chief executives, local government units and DILG officials, “warning about the scam, soliciting nominees for officer-in-charge for barangay posts.”

“We do not sanction nor endrose any and all forms of solicitation from appointees,” Sueno said.

Sueno advised officials concerned not to entertain or fall prey to these sammers. Instead ignore messages in texts which “may ask you to give money, favors or any other matters in exchange for appointment to government posts.”

DILG asked the officials concerned to report the poseurs and con men/women to PSupt. Alex Sintin or to any local DILG office, or call these numbers: 0949-846-4858 or 0998-967-4884 or landline 722-8116 trunkline — 723-0401 local 3421 or 3381.

President Duterte has signed the law postponing the supposed October 2016 baranggay and SK elections, report said. Malcanang said that it was Duterte’s first approved legislative measure.

But Malacanang and DILG are still mum on how to deal with barangay officials whose terms of office end this month.

Reports said that Congress (House and Senate) passed Senate Bill 1112 and House Bill 3504 last month to suspend the scheduled October 31 elections and instead moved it to the fourth Monday of October 2017.

The postponement was mainly due to the influence of narcotics abuse and illegal trade in the country.

“Foremost reason in deferring the holding of the said local elections this year is to allow more time for the implementation of the SK Reform Act, also known as Republic Act 10742,” Senator Angara said in a report. (rvo)



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *