Governor Edgar Chatto on Tuesday alerted municipal and barangay officials in coastal areas to protect shorelines from the entry of suspicious personalities amid the purported presence of Abu Sayaff bandits in neighbor province Cebu.
He said that the province was placed underÂ â€œhigh alertâ€ after the US Embassy issued a security advisory warning its citizens on travel to the southern part of Cebu.
However, the governor assured the public that Bohol remains safe from terror threats as tight security measures remain in place.
Chatto said that the military, police and other law enforcers are in constant coordination against possible threats.
Said security forces have also been deployed to key areas in Bohol such as malls, beach resorts, terminals, markets, airport and seaports to avert possible attacks.
The Police Regional Office in Central Visayas has already cleared the region of Abu Sayaff presence while Army personnel stationed in Bohol have declared the same.
Chatto also downplayed the threat as he noted that there is no need for panic, but urged Boholanos to remain vigilant by reporting suspicious activities and personalities to authorities.
Last week, the US Embassy pinpointed the areas of Dalaguete, Santander and Sumilon in Oslob Town, Cebu as places to avoid as it noted that terrorist groups are planning to conduct kidnappings in said areas.
â€œThe U.S. Embassy alerts U.S. citizens that terrorist groups are planning to conduct kidnappings in areas frequented by foreigners on the southern portion of Cebu Island,â€ the US Embassy alert said. (Rey Tutas)