While both Pedro Fuertes and Nila Montero claimed to be Panglao’s mayor, the Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) as of Tuesday morning still recognized the former as the town’s local chief executive.
According to Panglao DILG operations officer Sofronio Abing, Fuertes remained to be the signatory in official transactions of the town while the department’s local offices awaited orders on who to officially name as the town’s chief executive.
“Kay duha man ang mi-lingkod isip mayor,ang ato pa gihapong gisunod na gipabarog is among gipalinkod si Pedro pagkapanahon na gi-dismiss ang atong former mayor Nila Montero,” said Abing. “Hantod wa pa yamo’y opinion ang DILG kabahin sa maong pangahitabo ato sang ipabilin ang status quo sa lungsod sa Panglao.”
Both Fuertes and Montero have reported to their respective offices at the municipal hall, said Abing.
On Monday, the town’s Sangguniang Bayan filed a resolution recognizing the return of Montero as the town’s mayor with her as the “official signatory of the checking account for the municipality and other official transactions.”
The resolution was crafted after Montero appeared before the town council earlier on the same day appealing for the councilors to recognize her as the municipality’s chief executive.
According to Abing, there was still no definite timeline as to when the issue will be resolved although an incident report was already filed.
“Naa na man tay incident report na gi-submit through our provincial director John Joan Mende nga ipasaka didto sa regional ug sa national. So magpaabot lang ta na in due time or as soon as possible makapanaog og decision,” he said. (R. Tutas)