Dengue cases in Bohol ballooned by 125 percent for the period of January 1 to November 8, 2018, a reported from the Department of Health’s Regional Epidimiology and Surveillance Unit (DOH-RESU) 7 said.
DOH recorded 2,057 dengue cases with 37 deaths in the 312-day span, based on data released Thursday.
In the same period in 2017, there were only 912 cases with eight deaths recorded by health authorities.
According to the 2018 data, majority of those hit by the mosquito-borne disease were aged 16 to 20 at 22 percent.
Most cases were recorded in Tagbilaran City and Dauis with 271 cases and 189 cases, respectively.
Local health authorities had already expressed alarm over the number of dengue cases in the province even prior to the release of the new data.
The Provincial Health Office has deployed four task force teams to various areas in the province to conduct an intensified information campaign.
Misting operations were also set for Tagbilaran City and Dauis, said PHO officer Dr. Yul Lopez.
For its part, the DOH recommended for both public and private hospitals in the province to set up “dengue fast lanes.”
Local health units meanwhile were told to initiate clean-up drives and to boost monitoring of dengue cases in their respective communities. (R. Tutas)