The Sangguniang Bayan (SB) of Dauis on Monday discussed the possibility of declaring a dengue outbreak amid the rising number of individuals stricken by the mosquito-borne virus in the town.
“Wala pa ta mo-deklara og dengue outbreak kay ato pang gi tun-an unsay mahitabo. Naay session karon ang SB, ato ng pagahisgutan,” said Dauis Mayor Miriam Sumaylo.
Last week, the Department of Health (DOH) 7 suggested for the Dauis LGU to declare a dengue outbreak.
There were 189 dengue cases recorded in Dauis for 2018 as of November 8, based on a DOH data which also indicated that the town had the most number of cases next to Tagbilaran City with 271 cases.
According to Sumaylo, the LGU has sourced funds used to combat the dreaded viral disease, including the purchase of chemicals for misting machines, through the town’s Municipal Health Office (MHO) budget.
“Ang ato man untang tuyo is makapagawas ta og pundo gikan sa calamity [fund] pero di mana pwede. Ang atong gi-himo, ang budget sa MHO ang gi-gamit sa pagpalit sa mga gamit,” Sumaylo said.
She noted that almost P500,000 of the MHO budget has been used to control the spread of dengue.
The town’s LGU has also stepped up its efforts in destroying breeding grounds for dengue-carrying mosquitoes through clean-up drives.
Sumaylo said that Dauis officials will lead “one-time, big-time, search and destroy” operations against dengue across the town on Saturday.
“Magsugod 8 sa buntag hantod 5 sa hapon ang pagpanghinlo tibuok Dauis. Kauban nato local officials, barangay officials, SK, NGOs, POs ug ang religious sector,” she added.
According to Sumaylo, daily misting operations continued to be carried out in various barangays in Dauis.
Meanwhile, the DOH 7 is expected to deploy 10 more misting machines to be used in the town. (RT)