A man died while another landed in the hospital due to suspected food poisoning in Loon town.
Both victims reportedly ate an unknown crab species on Tuesday morning and shortly after started to vomit and experience stomachache and numbness across their bodies.
Ronel Palumares, 37, and Josephino Sobrado, 45, both residents of Pig-ot in Loon, were rushed to the Governor Celestino Gallares Memorial Hospital in Tagbilaran City.
Pulmares on the same day died while doctors continued to monitor the condition of Sobrado.
The victims’ family believed that the mottled crab cooked and consumed by the victims was poisonous and had warned both of them not to eat it.
However, doctors at the GCGMH have yet to confirm Pulmares’ exact cause of death and Sobrado’s suspected poisoning.
Meanwhile, Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources (BFAR) Bohol officer-in-charge Candido Samijon said that he was unaware of any known poisonous crab species.
“Naa may ngana na puntik-puntik ang porma pero di man maka-hilo . Wa ko [kadungog] pa og kasag na makahilo,” he Samijon said.
“Naay mga istoryang karaan anang mga mananagat na kanang mga kasag na balahibuon maoy dili nila kuhaon. Pero wa pa pud na ma-confirm, mura’g mga storya ra’s mga tiguwang ba,” he added.
A rede tide alert has been hoisted over Tagbilaran City and Dauis town but the contamination remained isolated in coastal waters of both localities, the BFAR earlier reported.
The red tide has also been only affecting shellfish in the area.
Samijon however did not dismiss the possibility that both men suffered from poisoning but he noted that it could have been only been determined if the consumed crab was submitted to a lab for testing. (A. Doydora)