Village chiefs divided on barangay polls rescheduling

Topic |  

Village chiefs divided on barangay polls rescheduling

Topic |  
 ADVERTISEMENT 

Village chiefs in Bohol are divided over the mulled second postponement of the barangay elections which was proposed by Pres. Rodrigo Duterte last week due to possible influence of “narco-politics” in the nationwide electoral exercise.

Two barangay captains reacted over DYRD Balita on Monday after Duterte floated the possibility of rescheduling the polls during the first general assembly of the LMB at the Manila Hotel in Manila on March 14.

According to San Isidro, Tagbilaran City Brgy. Capt. Fausto Budlong, he is in favor of having the elections in October this year according to initial plans to give opportunity to other aspirants and to renew the mandate of village executives.

The second-term barangay captain also publicly expressed support for the previously planned elections for 2017 during the opening of the three-day orientation on drug rehabilitation which was attended by village chiefs on Monday.

 ADVERTISEMENT 

For his part, former Liga ng mga Barangay (LMB)-Bohol president and now-Association of Barangay Councils Calape president Madelone Rengel said that it would be better if the elections do not push through this year.

According to Rengel, the polls which was already postponed to October 2017 from last year would only be a financial burden.

Other barangay captains also expressed mixed views regarding the scheduling of the elections.

During the LMB meeting last week, Duterte cited narco-politics as reason behind the planned postponement of the polls as he noted that drug money could be used to buy influence during the elections.

However, Lawyer Lionel Castillano, Comelec Cebu provincial supervisor, told the Inquirer last week that legislation is needed to officially declare the postponement. (Rey Tutas)

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!