A day after it was found stranded near the shore of Barangay Wepo, Alburquerque, a sea turtle died on Tuesday due to â€œplastic ingestion.â€
The sea turtle which weighed around 50 kilos passed away at 9 a.m. on Tuesday, said Ludivina Baay, forester 1 at the City Environment & Natural Resources Office.
According to Dr. Frederick Madrinan of the Provincial Veterinary Office, the reptile accidentally ingested plastic garbage leading to its death.
The female green see turtle which was first spotted by two fishermen in Wepo was turned over to the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) on Monday.
It was then placed under the custody of the DENR and temporarily kept at the house of Councilor Ruel Balion where the turtle was observed. (Allen Doydora)