A family was reportedly taken hostage by the two remaining Abu Sayyaf fighters in Bohol, one of whom was gunned down by authorities today, as part of the bandits’ attempt to escape Pangangan Island, Calape.
Police Sr. Insp. Ricardo Tero of the Regional Special Operations Group (RSOG) 7 had confirmed that it was Abu Sayyaf Ubayda who was gunned down at past 1 p.m. today after allegedly taking a family of three as hostage.
According to Councilor Rading Sarsuelo of Barangay Lawis in Pangangan, the Tuloy family was kept hostage by the suspects since Friday, a day after the two bandits were last spotted by villagers in the island.
Balodoy Tuloy, along with his wife and seven-year-old son, was gathering seashells in Barangay Cahayag, Pangangan when the two Abu Sayyaf militants approached and threatened him.
The two suspects who had earlier been identified as Ubayda and Asis reportedly forced the family to provide them food while not reporting their presence in the area.
Both suspects hid in a mangrove forest behind the Tuloys’ home, said Sarsuelo.
At 12 p.m. today, the two suspects reportedly told Balodoy to inspect the village’s periphery if authorities were still stationed in the area.
The bandits then immediately fled using a stolen motorcycle after Balodoy told them that security forces were no longer scattered in the area.
Reports indicated that Ubayda held the motorcycle’s driver at gunpoint while Asis commandeered the vehicle.
While travelling, the suspects were flagged down at a security checkpoint leading to the gun battle between security forces and the suspects.
Ubayda was killed while Asis was reportedly able to escape.
Authorities are now continuing their manhunt against Asis who is believed to be the only remnant of the around 10 Abu Sayyaf bandits who entered Inabanga last month. (Allen Doydora)