Villagers proven to have contributed significant information which led to the deaths of “Abu Asis” and “Abu Ubayda” in Pangangan Island, Calape on Monday will be compensated accordingly, said a military official.
“Sinisigurado natin na may matatangap yung mga informant dito sa pagkamatay ng dalawang Abu Sayyaf gaya ng promise ng ating mahal na Pangulo,” said Brig. Gen. Arnulfo Matanguihan,” commander of the 302nd Infantry Brigade.
According to Matanguihan, informants in the island will be given rewards same as those who had previously tipped authorities off on the whereabouts of the bandits in Clarin and Tubigon.
However, the number of reward recipients and the total amount which will be released by the government are yet to be verified.
Authorities will still be releasing an assessment report on the incident before the reward details are determined, said Matanguihan.
A total of P2.2 million is projected to be allotted as total reward money if the deaths of Ubayda and Asis are credited to information relayed by tipsters.
While details on the amount remained unclear, Matanguihan assured the public that President Duterte’s promise to extend rewards to tipsters will be fulfilled.
For his part, Calape police chief Sr. Insp. Cresente Gurrea said that the Tuloy family alerted the authorities on the presence of Asis and Ubayda in the village.
The Tuloys were allegedly taken hostage by the bandits before the suspects fled the family’s home on board a stolen motorcycle on Monday noon.
Ubayda and Asis were killed in Barangay Lawis at past 1 p.m. and 5 p.m., respectively, following a manhunt against them.
The two men are believed to be the last remnants of the Abu Sayyaf extremists who entered Bohol through Inabanga town in April as the rest of the group’s members were also shot dead by authorities. (Allen Doydora)