AFP recommends P2.2 million for tipsters in Calape

Topic |  

AFP recommends P2.2 million for tipsters in Calape

Topic |  
 ADVERTISEMENT 

Flyers distributed by the Philippine Army’s 47th Infantry Battalion in various villages prior to the death of “Abu Asis” and “Abu Ubayda” in Pangangan, Calape on Monday. (Photo: 47th IB)

The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has submitted to the Office of the President a report indicating names of villagers who contributed information to authorities leading to the deaths of the two remaining Abu Sayyaf bandits in the province.

According to 302nd Infantry Brigade commander Brig. Gen. Arbulfo Matanguihan, a total of P2.2 million in reward money will be given to the informants who helped security forces in locating “Abu Asis” and “Abu Ubayda” in Calape.

Each of the two bandits who were killed by government troops on Monday has a P1.1 million bounty on their heads, said Matanguihan.

“We are recommending P1.1 million for each. P1 million from the Office of the President and P100K from Provincial Government of Bohol. Total of P2.2 million for the 2 ASG neutralized,” said Matanguihan in a text message to The Chronicle.

 ADVERTISEMENT 

The reward will be relayed to the tipsters through the AFP.

However, its recipients were not named by Matanguihan for security purposes.

The AFP official also refused to confirm if the man who was allegedly taken hostage by Asis and Ubayda hours prior to the bandits’ deaths would be given a reward.

For his part, Gov. Edgar Chatto confirmed to The Chronicle that Matanguihan has submitted the list of tipsters but noted that he is not privy to the number of reward recipients.

The AFP is now awaiting the approval from the Office of the President for the release of the amount, said Chatto.

“Yes. Submit na sila per information from Gen. Matanguihan. Huwat na lang AFP sa response like before,” Chatto said.

 ADVERTISEMENT 

The governor also noted that the list submitted by the AFP will likely be made basis by Malacañang in the release of the fund and its allotment.

 ADVERTISEMENT 

Meanwhile, Chatto expressed his appreciation to security forces for efforts in the over month-long manhunt against the Abu Sayyaf bandits who entered Bohol last month.

He also thanked residents in Bohol for their contributions in boosting monitoring operations at the barangay and purok levels.

The deaths of Ubayda and Asis in Pangangan Island, Calape on Monday marked the end of the Abu Sayyaf Group’s (ASG) presence in the province.

 ADVERTISEMENT 

They were the last remnants of the band of ASG fighters who entered Bohol through Inabanga on April 11 as all the other bandits have all been killed by government troops in several police and military operations. (Rey Tutas)

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

error: Content is protected !!