Police in the entire province have been placed under red alert status following the attack of the ISIS-affiliated Maute Group in MarawI City, Lanao del Sur, said an official of the Bohol Provincial Police Office (BPPO).
Supt. George Vale, chief of the BPPO Community Relations Branch, told the Chronicle that police units across the province have intensified patrols and beefed up their coordination with the military, Coast Guard and other law enforcement agencies.
The implementation of tighter security measures was carried out in accordance with a directive issued by Police Regional Office 7 director Chief Superintendent Noli Taliño, said Vale.
The BPPO official also advised against being complacent even after the band of Abu Sayyaf men who entered Bohol last month has been neutralized noting the need for continued vigilance among security forces and the public.
He urged residents to remain on alert to help thwart terrorist activities.
For his part, 302nd Infantry Brigade commander Brig. Gen. Arnulfo Matanguihan assured the public that there are enough security forces in Bohol to again foil an incursion of lawless elements into the province.
Yesterday, a clash between members of the Maute Group believed to be led by wanted terrorist Isnilon Hapilon and government troops erupted in Marawi City.
The US Federal Bureau of Investigation had tagged Hapilon as among the most wanted terrorists in the world placing a $5-million (roughly 250 Pmillion) bounty on his head.
Following the violent encounters, Pres. Duterte declared Martial Law in Mindanao shortly before midnight on Tuesday.
Martial Law in the entire region will be in effect for 60 days, said the Malacañang. (Rey Tutas)