A criminal complaint is set to be filed against the lone known suspect in the rape of an 18-year-old woman inside the Cogon Public Market in Tagbilaran City, said a police official.
According to Tagbilaran City police deputy chief Sr. Insp. Erano Regidor, the case will be filed before the city prosecutor’s office once they acquire the victim’s “medical record.”
Police handling the case are moving to file the rape charge against the suspect within the week, said Regidor.
So far, only one of three suspects has been pinpointed by police.
The said suspect’s identity, however, has still not been disclosed by the police.
Earlier, authorities including Tagbilaran City police chief Supt. Patricio Degay have only confirmed that the suspect is a member of the city’s Active Local Emergency Response Team.
He was also earlier identified as one of the suspects by the victim herself when he was presented in a police lineup.
According to Regidor, the suspect will be publicly named once charged.
The said suspect is also still not under police custody as they await the formal filing of the case and the issuance of an arrest warrant.
Regidor assured that police are tightly monitoring the suspect to prevent him from fleeing the city.
Meanwhile, police are still trying to identify other suspects behind the crime.
Based on the victim’s previous statement, there were three men who accosted her near the Cogon Public Market at around 9 p.m. on September 10, 2017.
The suspects allegedly dragged her into the market’s empty restroom and slammed her head into the wall causing her to lose consciousness.
The following day, the victim reported to police the attack and possible rape.
In a previous interview, Degay confirmed that there were indications of rape against the victim based on a medical examination conducted following the incident.
“Based on the result, there was a laceration and with positive semen,” he said. (Allen Doydora)