A resort in Barangay Tawala, Panglao caught fire Tuesday morning reportedly due to a circuit breaker malfunction, authorities said.
According to SFO1 Adelo Castro of the Panglao Fire Station, no one was injured during the incident but the compressor room of Diving King Dive Resort owned by Korean national Leyla Ding was severely damaged.
Ding estimated that the fire left P2 million worth of property damages.
The blaze erupted from the compressor room where the resort’s circuit breaker exploded, said Castro.
Personnel of Tarsier 117 and the Panglao Fire Station were alerted at past 8 a.m. and immediately responded to the fire incident.
The area where the fire was believed to have started was made of light materials.
It was also filled with Styrofoam boxes causing the flames to quickly spread to the third floor of the establishment.
However, the flames did not reach the rooms as the fire was declared under control 20 minutes after it started, said Castro.
According to the fire official, three firetrucks were deployed to the scene while members of the South Palms Fire Brigade also provided support.
Authorities have launched an investigation into the incident also to verify the exact extent and cost of the damages caused by the flames.
Personnel and guests of the resort were unharmed as they were evacuated immediately after the fire broke out while nearby establishments were unaffected. (Allen Doydora)