While many netizens expressed skepticism over the circumstances surrounding the death of multi-awarded but controversial cop SPO1 Adonis Dumpit, some of his neighbors heaved a sigh of relief over not having the slain policeman as neighbor anymore.
This was according to San Isidro, Tagbilaran City Barangay Captain Fausto “Bebot” Budlong who said that some residents in the village feared Dumpit due to alleged illegal discharge of his firearm in their neighborhood.
“Diha koy mga reports nga atong gipaabot sa atong kapolisan labina kay in some cases, nagpabuto ni siya unya ang atong mga residente duol sa maong lugar mura pud og nahadlok, magpabuto siya, mag-indiscriminate firing pud ni siya usahay,” said Budlong.
Budlong specifically noted an instance when Dumpit allegedly fired his gun indiscriminately after his cat was run over by a vehicle.
“There was a time nga niingon siya nga napungot lang siya kay ang iyang iring naligsan unya gapabuto siya, ingon ana ba,” said Budlong.
Dumpit was killed on Wednesday in San Isidro by joint operatives of the National Bureau of Investigation (NBI) and the police’s Regional Intelligence Division 7 during an alleged shootout which broke out during a “legitimate” anti-drug operation against the policeman.
He was gunned down at past 8:20 a.m. along the Francisco Dagohoy Circumferential Road outside the Lindaville Subdivision Phase 2, just some 200 meters away from his residence, after he allegedly fired at arresting agents when he was accosted while riding a motorcycle.
Law enforcement agents alleged that Dumpit was a drug protector and high-level drug pusher, noting that he was in possession of 15 large packets of shabu when he was shot dead during the drug interdiction opration.
In a report, the NBI said that they received information that Dumpit was delivering “stocks” of shabu to another village in Tagbilaran City when they attempted to arrest him.
Budlong supported the NBI’s allegation as he revealed having received reports on Dumpit’s involvement in illegal drug activities.
“Naay ing-ana nga mura og naa siyay mga tawo nga murag na-involve pud [drogas] so ato lang nang gipasa sa proper authorities nga maoy mo-conduct sa maong imbestigasyon,” said Budlong.
According to Budlong, Dumpit had been living in the village for over two years and during the span, he received multiple reports against the policeman including harassment allegations.
However, the village chief said that residents in his barangay need not fret anymore as he assured them that Dumpit’s case was “isolated.”
Meanwhile, several netizens, particularly those who pinned their hopes on the sharp-shooting Dumpit to eradicate the drug menace in Bohol, expressed disbelief over the cop’s alleged involvement in illegal drug activities.
“Gipatay na sa mga Druglords diha sa Bohol hadluk ni Dumpit.. tig hipos na si Dumpit mga drug addict ug mga badlungon dire sa Cebu,” Nikki Flores Narsico said.
Some, on the other hand, claimed to have known of Dumpit’s alleged drug involvement while others placed their trust in the NBI and police in proving that the police officer was indeed linked to the illegal drug trade.
“Maybe you knew him outside. But the question, how much do you know him? Or do you really know the real him? Mao nay pangutana nga angay natong tubagon before jumping into conclusion. Kay mura man gud nga gipakasayop nalang jud nato ang NBI ug police regardless of the fact nga wa jud ta kabalo sa both sides,” said Yan H. Lagunda.
“Lol sa mga di katuo nga involved ni siya sa drugs, inyo pud na. Pag research lang sa mo,” said a concerned citizen who requested for anonymity.
Dumpit who was previously assigned in Cebu City was transferred to Bohol earlier this month but it was not his first time to be stationed in the province.
He was aged 55, a year away from the mandatory retirement age for police officers at 56.
The veteran policeman earlier served a minimum six-year prison term after he was found guilty of homicide for killing a notorious 17-year-old robbery suspect.
He was released in 2016 and had exhibited good behavior during his incarceration.
The National Police Commission allowed him to return to the police service after dismissing the administrative charge against him in relation to the homicide case. (Rey Tutas)