Police Officer 2 Jan Marvin Enriquez, the prime suspect in the series of break-ins of several apartments in the cityÂ last week was released from the Tagbilaran City Police lock-up jail on Monday, June 6, 2016.
According to city police chief Superintendent George Vale, the suspect was released from police custody based on the decision of the City Prosecutorâ€™s Office to let Enriquez go while the incident will undergo regular filing and the case progresses.
However, Vale is not convinced by speculations that Enriquez was released after some surmised that the alleged burglar was not the one caught on a closed-circuit television (CCTV) camera posted in one of the ransacked apartments.
Four witnesses who were also victims positively identified Enriquez as the one who burgled the apartments, Vale said.
He stressed that the police remains impartial and are only carrying out their duties in helping out the victims, adding that Enriquez is fortunate to have been released as a result of due process.
Vale also said that he respects the decision of the prosecutorâ€™s office, but clarified that the case will push forward.
After his release, Enriquez filed a leave of absence from his work at the Guindulman Police Station where he is assigned. (with reports from Allen Doydora)