Governor Edgar Chatto has ordered disaster councils in each town to prepare for Tropical Depression Marce which is set to make landfall over Surigao on Thursday afternoon or early evening.
According to Anthony Damalerio, chief of the Provincial Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Office (PDRRMO), they are already coordinating with national government agencies in efforts to mitigate the effects of Marce as it affects Bohol and other areas in Visayas and Mindanao.
Damalerio said that the PDRRMO is working closely with the Office of the Civil Defense, Office of the Provincial Social Welfare and Development, the Bohol police, TARSIER 117 and Department of Education (DepEd)-Bohol.
The official also alerted the public to be wary of untoward incidents caused by the cyclone such as landslides and flooding.
As of this morning, Bohol was one of the provinces in Visayas and Mindanao which were put under Signal Number 1.
So far, classes for elementary and high school students have not been suspended but local chief executives have been given authority to cancel classes should it be deemed necessary.
Classes for kindergarten and preschool pupils in public schools were suspended this morning.
For his part, Tagbilaran City port manager James Gantalao said that vessels including fast crafts in Bohol have been grounded while trips to the province have also been cancelled.
He noted that at the city port alone, 413 passengers were stranded on Thursday morning as seven boats including three passenger vessels have not been allowed to leave due to bad weather.
According to the state weather bureau, the following provinces have also been put under Signal Number 1: Romblon, Cuyo Island, Leyte, Southern Leyte, Siquijor, Negros Oriental, Negros Occidental, Iloilo, Capiz, Aklan, Antique, Guimaras Surigao del Norte including Siargao Island, Surigao del Sur, Dinagat Island, Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Misamis Oriental and Camiguin. (Rey Tutas)