LOAY. The contractor for the construction of the Loay Public Market building has abandoned the multi-million project leaving it unfinished. This was bared by Municipal Councilor, Engr. Tibbs â€œBongâ€ Bullecer, Jr. during an interview with station DYRD.
Bullecer, a come-backing member of the Sangguniang Bayan after his stint as vice mayor for three terms, articulated that Square Cube Company has stopped doing anything in the project site. During an appearance before the Sangguniang Bayan of this town sometime in August last year, Engr. Moises Millanar, the project Engineer, showed up in behalf of Franklin Olaer, the proprietor of Square Cube company.
According to Bullecer, Engr. Millanar has cited several reasons about the stoppage of works and one of which is the absence of fill-up materials. However, Bullecer who is a civil engineer and a contractor himself maintained that despite of the absence of a fill-up material, the works can still proceed. Millanar, on that session, promised to continue the works and has also promised to inform the Sangguniang Bayan as to the new date of completion of the said project, but failed to fulfill his promises according to Bullecer. Under the contract, the Loay Market building project should have been completed already in the month of July last year.
Bullecer bared that the said project was awarded to Square Cube construction in 2015 barely few months before the local elections. The other project awarded to the said contractor was the rehabilitation of the controversial municipal building. From the two projects, Square Cube has taken a total amount of more than 10 million pesos.
Bullecer added that, as it was abandoned, the rate of completion of the project, as reported by Engr. Peter Ilogon – the Municipal Engineer, was only 19.8% and the contractor was already paid a total amount of Php6,388,280, an amount which is too big against the performance of works. According to Bullecer, the said project would cost 21.2 million pesos, the 20 million of which, come from the availment of loan from Development Bank of the Philippines-Tagbilaran Branch. Bullecer added, that 10 million pesos of the said loaned money was already downloaded to the LGU of Loay.
Alarmed by the situation, the Sangguniang Bayan of Loay, in one of its sessions which was presided over by Number 1 Councilor Atty. Hilarion Ayuban, in the absence of Vice Mayor Brigido Imboy who was in USA for a medical checkup, has approved two resolutions, all addressed to Square Cube Construction company. The SB members were one in demanding that the project must be finished this year.
Sponsored en masse, the Loay SB has passed a resolution that directs Square Cube company to immediately act on the de-rusting of the rusted steel bars in the unfinished market building project and to effect any protective method so as not to further damage the exposed steel bars. On the same hand, the Loay SB has urged the proprietor of Square Cube, Mr. Olaer, to personally appear before the Sangguniang Bayan of Loay, in order to report about the status of the unfinished market building project.
In a check made with the office of the Sangguniang Bayan it was learned that Mr. Olaer who was asked to appear during the session of the legislators, did not show up and sent no words why he cannot come. And the de-rusting of the exposed steel bars was not also done. It was learned that in its session last Monday, the Loay Sanggunian has unanimously approved a resolution requesting the office of the mayor to take appropriate legal action against Square Cube Construction for abandoning the project.
It was also gathered that the Bids and Awards Committee of the said town has made two resolutions already recommending to the office of the mayor for a legal action against square cube. Engr. Bullecer relayed that the office of the mayor has taken no action yet as to the recommendation of BAC.
Mayor Rochelle Brigette Imboy was not reached for comment as the latter is on a travel abroad.