While awaiting budget for the purchase of body cameras, Tagbilaran City police anti-narcotics operatives will temporarily use cell phones to document their anti-drug operations, an official said.
According to Tagbilaran police chief Sr. Supt. Patricio Degay, city cops are ready to be deployed even without the necessary documenting equipment.
Degay said that they are still looking for funding for the purchase of body cameras.
The police requested for nine body cameras through the City Peace and Order Council.
Earlier, the city government also vowed to provide funding for police equipment.
The use of body cameras during operations were among directives issued by Camp Crame after the Philippine National Police (PNP) was redeployed as part of the government’s war on drugs late last year.
The utilization of the equipment is meant to visually record anti-drug operations and avoid controversies and accusations against the police.
Police operatives have repeatedly been in hot water for various anomalies during anti-drug operations including alleged planting of evidence and extra-judicial killings.
So far, Tagbilaran cops have been focusing on conducting case buildup and the validation of information on drug suspects in the city since the PNP was redeployed.
The PNP was pulled out from the government’s anti-drug drive starting October 10 and was directed to rejoin oin Novemver.
However, the Bohol Provincial Police Office was only given the go-signal by the regional police command in Cebu to carry out anti-drug operations on December 13. (A. Dodyora)