The number of dengue cases in Bohol last year plummeted by 64.28 percent compared with the record for 2016, said the Provincial Health Office (PHO).
According to PHO chief Dr. Reymoses Cabagnot, the Provincial Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit (PESU) recorded 1,028 dengue cases from January 1 to December 31 in 2017.
The data reflected a sharp decline as the PESU recorded 2,878 cases of the mosquito-borne disease in 2016.
There was also a fewer number of dengue deaths last year as the figure dropped from 20 in 2016 to eight in 2017.
Based on the PESU’s data, most of those who contracted the disease were aged one to five while a little over half of the patients were males at 56.1 percent.
Most of the dengue cases in Bohol last year were recorded in Tagbilaran City at 219 including two fatal cases.
There were 81 cases in Carmen, 77 in Talibon, 64 in Dauis and 46 in Panglao, the PESU said.
According to Cabagnot, the PHO intensified its awareness campaign on measures to lower risk for dengue in communities.
He said that the number of dengue cases could further decline if communities boost efforts in cleaning their surroundings and destroying breeding grounds for dengue-carrying mosquitoes. (Rey Tutas)