None of the local government units (LGU) in Bohol have declared a dengue outbreak in their respective municipalities.
This, even after the Department of Health (DOH) 7 recommended the declaration of a dengue outbreak in Tagbilaran City and the towns of Trinidad, Cortes, Clarin, Dauis and Loon last week.
According to Provincial Health Office chief Dr. Reymoses Cabagnot, it is up to the LGUs to whether or not follow the DOH’s recommendation.
“Naa ny recommendation pero way LGU na hing declare,” he said. “Ambot nila, di na ko mo gama og rason para nila kung ngano wa sila mo declare, basta gihatagan na sila og recommendation.”
The DOH Regional Epidemiology Surveillance Unit (RESU) recorded 534 dengue cases and three deaths due to the disease from January 1 to February 9, 2019.
The figure is 535 percent higher than the 84 cases recorded in the same period in 2018.
Based on the RESU data, the most number of dengue cases were recorded in Tagbilaran City, 52; Tubigon, 52; Buenavista, 28; Clarin, 28; Loon, 28; Calape, 27; Panglao, 30; Talibon, 20; and Dauis, 19.
Most of those who suffered from the viral disease were aged six to 10, making up 26 percent of the entire number of dengue patients during the period, said the RESU.
In 2018, the number of dengue cases in Bohol soared to 5,249, the highest in at least 18 years.
A total of 54 individuals died due to complications of the disease in the same year. (ad)