Another Boholano heinous crime convict freed along with many others across the country through the now controversial Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA) law has surrendered to authorities.
Marcial Augis, 69, who was convicted of homicide presented himself before the President Carlos P. Garcia (CPG) Police Station on Monday afternoon, a week after President Duterte ordered convicts released through the law to surrender.
Augis told the Chronicle that he surrendered to police out of fear and after hearing the President’s order through the radio.
“Nahadlok ko mao mi surrender ko,” Augis said.
“Naay nabati nako sa radyo na tanang nakalaya sa August 19 kinahanglan pa surrenderon,” he added.
According to Staff Sgt. Bryan Wahing of the CPG police, they turned over Augis to the Bohol Provincial Police Office inside the Camp Francisco Dagohoy in Tagbilaran City on Tuesday morning.
He was the third Bohol resident who surrendered to police after being released under the GCTA. On Saturday last week, convicted rapists Reynaldo Mercado and Melchor Jumamil surrendered to police in Cortes.
A discharge form stated that Augis was released from the New Bilibid Prision in Muntinlupa City on August 19, 2019 after “having completed his sentence upon retroactive application of RA 10592 (GCTA), pursuant to the provisions of Articla 70 of the RPC (Revised Penal Code), per memorandum dated August 16, 2109 of USEC Nicanor E. Faeldon, BUCOR Director General.”
Wahing said Auguis who was sentenced on May 7, 2007 was found guilty of stabbing his cousin, Lorenzo Augis, dead during a knife fight in 1993.
No arrest warrants were issued against the released convicts as Duterte noted that those implementing his order “will be treated as exercising good faith.” (with RT)