The former police chief of Dauis, Lt. Bonifacio Tañola, who has been accused of violating health protocols, may have singlehandedly caused a COVID-19 outbreak in the town which now has 43 active cases, the most in the entire province.
Based on data from health authorities, at least 23 COVID-stricken individuals, or more than half of the municipality’s ongoing infections, were traced to have been in contact with Tañola.
According to Bohol Inter-Agency Task Force (BIATF) spokesperson Dr. Yul Lopez, 14 of Dauis’ 16 new cases which were identified on Tuesday were close contacts of Tañola.
“Kining 16 karon na bag-ong kaso sa Dauis, 14 niini ma-connect nimo sa chief of police, 10 ka member sa Dauis PNP, ang usa masahista na nagmasahe sa chief of police ug ang usa kusinero sa police station,” said Dr. Yul Lopez.
Prior to the identification of the 16 new cases, at least nine other people who were in contact with Tañola when he visited the Dauis Police Station after his trip to Cebu City were also infected with the virus.
Tañola who attended classed in Cebu City allegedly breached protocol when he skipped quarantine and failed to present a negative PCR test prior to his arrival.
The Dauis Police Station has been locked down since Friday last week due to the sudden surge of virus cases in their office while Tañola has been relieved of his post.
Dr. Joni Co, municipal health officer of Dauis town, earlier indicated that Tañola was highly likely to be the police station’s patient zero considering his recent travel to Cebu.
Tañola was also the first to be identified as a carrier of the virus among the town’s cops.
“Gikan man gud siya og Cebu, unya wa puy lain police na na-positive before niya,” Co said.
According to Lopez, the provincial government officials led by Gov. Art Yap are set to meet Dauis Mayor Miriam Sumaylo on Wednesday to address the surge in virus cases.