Sevilla’s second most wanted person who is accused of raping a 14-year-old girl has tested positive for COVID-19 just several days after he was arrested in Panabo, Davao del Norte.
According to Sevilla police chief Major Erenieto Feniza, the suspect arrived in Bohol with his police escorts on Wednesday and was subjected to an RT-PCR test on the same day.
The test result which was released on Saturday indicated that the detainee has been infected with COVID-19.
Feniza said the suspect was immediately isolated upon arrival at the police station while his two police escorts tested negative for the disease.
“Kadtong escorts niya, gi-swab na unya negative. Pero ato gihapong gipa-quarantine…wa pud ni siya close contact kay pag-abot deretso ni siya unya akong gi-advisan ang mga taw diri na once mo abot, way mo duol,” he said.
After seven years in hiding, the suspect was arrested by police in Panabo on March 1.
The 50-year-old fugitive was traced in the town through a tip received by the the Sevilla Police Station in January this year.
“Sa 2014 pa ni iyang kaso unya misibat. Then naa naka [tip] na tua sa Panabo, Davao mao among gi-forward sa mga kaubanan didto mao nadakpan,” said Feniza.
Authorities believed that the detainee contracted COVID-19 while being transported to Bohol as he had earlier tested negative for the disease following his arrest in Panabo.
Feniza said that the suspect is in stable condition but is experiencing minor symptoms such as a cold and cough. (A. Doydora)