The power control room of the Maribojoc town hall was gutted by a fire which erupted at dawn on Monday, leaving the municipality’s seat of government without electricity.
Maribojoc Fire Station investigator SFO2 Vincent Ente said they were alerted at 4:30 a.m. of the fire that engulfed the control room which is located inside the town’s gymnasium.
“Wa pa gyud ni silay supply ron, kay sa akong pagsabot ani, kinahanglan ni siya og re-wiring sa munisipyo kay nasunog man ang ubang mga portion sa mga wiring,” said Ente.
No one was injured during the incident but the fire left over P450,000 worth of property damages.
Ente said the blaze also burned a portion of the gym and various equipment including sound mixers, microphones, electric fans, a water dispenser and a sound system.
“Ang nasunog ang control room ug ang kisame niya ug naay gamayng portion sa stage sa gym,” said Ente.
The fire was not able to spread to other establishments beyond the gymnasium which is located near the town hall.
Authorities declared fire out at 4:30 a.m.
According to Ente, the fire may have started due to water getting inside the power control room due to damaged ceiling at the facility leading to an electrical short circuit.
“Ila na ning gi reklamo sa ni-aging adlaw na ang sin sa building tungod sa bagyong Odette nagtulo na paingon didto sa control room nila. Ilang gi-ayo, gi tabunan og sin pero sa actual na sunog, nagto gihapon ni siya, unya nito didto sa control room na tua didto gibutang ang ilang switch sa kurinti ug panel board unya naka cause ni og short circuit ,” he said. (A. Doydora)