More than 100 houses converted into accommodation catering mostly to students were considered fire hazards after a fire risk assessment was conducted by the Bureau of Fire Protection (BFD), Tagbilaran Fire Station.
Tagbilaran City Fire Marshall Chief Inspector Raul Bustalino told DYRD Balita that most of this establishments located in areas near universities failed standards of the BFD and are operating without a license from city hall.
Bustalino submitted the fire hazard list to the business permit section of the city while expressing deep concern that the continued operation of these boarding houses raises the risk of fire and endangering the lives of the predominantly student boarders.
Common violations discovered by the BFD were the non-existence of fire exits, illegal tapping, rampant use of octopus connections increasing electrical outlets without increasing the number of circuits, substandard electrical wires faulty wiring and absence of fire extinguishers.
Bustalino also warned of the dangers of using illegally refilled butane canisters for their butane stoves designed for outdoor use not for indoor daily cooking.
RA 9514 known as the Revised Fire Code of the Philippines of 2008 mandates that fire hazards shall be abated immediately and owners shall be given 10 to 15 days to comply with the provisions of the code.Â (Chito M. Visarra with reports from Allen Doydora)