Only around 20 more known drug personalities in Panglao have not surrendered to the townâ€™s police and vowed to stop their involvement in illegal drug activities after 94 pushers and users turned themselves in last Thursday, police said.
According to Senior Inspector Jomar Pomarejos, Panglao police chief, the 94 drug personalities from six barangays are now part of their watch list but there are still remaining suspects who have not yielded to authorities.
All ten Panglao barangays have suspects involved in illegal drug activities, but none from the other four villages have surrendered to the police, Pomarejos said.
The police chief previously noted that before the 19 pushers and 75 users surrendered, the Panglao police force had already set in motion Oplan Tokhang (tok-tok hangyo or knock and persuade) which is the visitation of cops and barangay officials at drug personalitiesâ€™ homes to convince them to stop their involvement in drug activities.
Barangay officials will again visit the homes of those who have not surrendered even if they know they are included in the police watch list to persuade them to no longer engage in illegal drug trade and also help them break the habit of using drugs.
Pomarejos warned those who would still not yield that authorities will relentlessly go after them especially now that President Rodrigo Duterte, who vowed to stamp out illegal drug activities, is at the helm of the national police force.
He also reminded those who surrendered to keep their word and not go back to using and dealing drugs as apprehending them would be easier this time since they all have records at the police office.
The local government of Panglao is now preparing measures to help those who surrendered gain legitimate sources of income to make sure that they discontinue their involvement in illegal drug activities.
The authorities found out that most of the 94 drug suspects who turned themselves in have no legal livelihood. (with reports from Allen Doydora)