A 51-year-old man was hospitalized after he ingested 120 santol fruit seeds Tuesday night, July 5, 2016.
The victim, Benbinido Fernandez, a resident of Barangay Putlongcam in Alicia, said that he ate 30 pieces of the fruit and enjoyed it so much that he also consumed their seeds.
On Wedenesday, he had an upset stomach and was unable to defecate and urinate prompting him to seek medical attention at the Gov. Celestino Gallares Memorial Hospital in Tagbilaran City.
Doctors at the hospital found out through ultrasound that the seeds were already blocking Fernandezâ€™ bowels.
The victim is currently being observed by doctors while a surgery might be conducted on Fernandez if he does not defecate and push out the 120 seeds he ate.
Meanwhile, doctors warned the public particularly children to avoid doing the same as it could put them in a similar danger.
According to research, santol seeds take a long time to be digested which causes stomach pain. (with reports from Allen Doydora)