There have been “zero” robbery incidents in Tagbilaran City in the past two weeks following the arrest of members of a robbery group and the death of their alleged leader on June 10.
The update was reported by Tagbilaran City Police chief Lt. Col. Christopher Navida on Thursday after the city was hounded by a spate of robberies from late April to the first week of June.
“For the previous weeks na operation natin we were able to arrest yung grupo na yan which also resulted yung sa pagkamatay nung ibang mga personality. So as a result, for the last [two] weeks, na neutralize yung mga personality na yan wala tayong recorded na robbery incident dito sa Tagbilaran,” said Navida.
The robbery-drug group allegedly led by Joseph Paz Jr., 26, was “neutralized” during a drug buy-bust operation in Barangay Bool on January 10.
The operation resulted in the death of Paz who allegedly resisted arrest and the apprehension of his cohorts Jabar Cadar, 29, and Joselito Otero, 29, for illegal drug possession.
Paz and his cohorts had just allegedly robbed two women prior to the anti-drug operation.
All three suspects were previously arrested for drug charges but were released through plea bargaining agreements in the months of May and April.
According to Navida, Paz’s group admitted to carrying out 13 robberies in Tagbilaran City.
Navida said that drug personalities have either shifted to theft, burglary and robbery or have diversified their criminal operations due to the low shabu supply in the city.
Following Paz’s death and the arrest of most of his group’s members, Navida expressed hope that the city will remain free from robberies.
“No robbery incidents na. We are hoping na magtuloy-tuloy ‘to kasi di maganda yung robbery incident na na-create nila dito sa mga inosente dito sa Tagbilaran,” he said.
Meanwhile, theft and burglary remained rampant in the city with at least seven cases reported in a week starting June 20. (AD)