A 65-year-old woman’s house in Sagbayan town was razed by a two-hour fire which broke out in the wee hours of Wednesday.
According to FO1 Joy Petalcorin of the Sagbayan Fire Station, the blaze left P100,000 worth of property damage.
The owner of the house was identified as Juanita Diaz of Barangay Katipunan in Sagbayan.
Diaz was with her husband, Francisco, during the fire but both were able to move out of the house safely.
Investigators said that the fire may have started from a lighted cigarette which was thrown in a garbage can near the house.
The house has no power connection prompting authorities to discount faulty electrical wiring as possible source of the blaze.
However, a probe was still ongoing to determine the exact cause of the fire, said Petalcorin.
According to Petalcorin, they received the fire alarm at 1:30 a.m. and the blaze was declared under control at 3:30 a.m.
Only one fire truck was deployed to the area while the house which was made of light materials was already engulfed by flames when firefighters arrived.
Meanwhile, the Diaz couple has temporarily moved to their relative’s residence near their burnt house. (A. Doydora)